Why commission a work of art ?
There are many reasons to commission a work of art:
- you are looking for a special painting for your art collection
- you want a statement piece for your living room
- you want a memory of a special place or event
- you want a gift for someone special
- you want to immortalise a family member or your pet. A painted portrait has greater depth than a digital image, as it appears much more tactile and therefore lifelike
- or you want a painting made, just for you.
After your initial inquiry, Dave will contact you and discuss your requirements and questions about the art commission and arrange to meet you at your convenience.
If the commission is a family portrait then this first meeting can take place in Dave’s studio or another mutually agreeable location. This session will take about two hours, during which Dave will make a preliminary sketch/colour study from life and take photographic reference to allow Dave to proceed in his studio after the session has finished.
Upon receipt of the deposit the painting of your commission will commence. Dave will start to create the painting through drawings and colour studies. During this period, Dave will develop details of the composition.
Once the commission is completed, Dave will forward a photo of the painting for the client’s approval or arrange another meeting with the client.
Following final approval, and payment of the balance, arrangements are made for delivery of the completed commission ready to be displayed for years of pleasurable viewing.
You’ll also get a signed and stamped Certificate of Authenticity, which will describe the painting and the story of it’s inspiration.
The cost of commissioned works of art are dependant on many variables, these include the size of the picture, the medium in which it is executed, and subject matter ie a portrait of the whole family requires more artist time than for an individual.